Even the most complex password or passphrase can be compromised if you fall prey to a well-crafted phishing attack or through a security breach. How can you protect your account even if your password is compromised? Add multi-factor authentication.
Authentication factors often fall into three categories:
- Something you know – a password or passphrase
- Something you have – an app on your smartphone
- Something you are – a biometric such as a fingerprint
By adding a second factor to your authentication, like an app on your smartphone, in addition to a passphrase, even if someone gets your passphrase, they are not able to access your account unless they also have access to the app running on your smartphone.
All UMHB users have access to multi-factor authentication through OneLogin.
Setting up OneLogin MFA from your OneLogin Profile page
- In a browser, log in to umhb.onelogin.com
- We recommend using a laptop or desktop rather than the smartphone on which you will install the OneLogin OTP app.
- Go to your user Profile page.
- Click your name on the far-right of the menu bar and select Profile from the drop-down menu.
- On the Profile page, click the plus sign (+) next to 2-Factor Authentication.
- On the Add 2-Factor Method dialog, select your vendor and device type.
- On the Choose Vendor drop-down, select OneLogin.
- On the Select Device drop-down, select iOS.
- Install the OneLogin OTP app on your iPhone or iPad. To install:
- On your phone, go to the App Store.
- Search for OneLogin OTP.
- Click the Get button.
- Click the Install button.
- Launch the OneLogin OTP app.
- On the Welcome screen, click Set Up Now.
- If you're prompted to permit OneLogin OTP to use your camera, click OK.
- From the Scan Barcode screen, use your iOS device camera to scan the barcode on the Add 2-Factor Method dialog that is still open on your computer browser.
- Focus the blue box over the barcode. When the barcode is successfully scanned, a big green arrow appears inside the blue box, indicating that your device is paired (registered) to your OneLogin account.
- The OneLogin OTP home screen appears:
- If you are prompted to Enable Push Notifications, click Enable.
- Full push-notification functionality requires that the app is fully enabled for notifications in the phone settings. Clicking Enable here configures those settings for you.
- Confirm that your iOS device has been registered as a 2-Factor Authentication method on your Profile page.